Sunday, February 14, 2010

Over the week-end, we traveled to Kamakura, about 25 miles south of Tokyo. Our language teacher had arranged the trip so her English language students and Japanese language students (us) could interact using their new language. One of the highlights was visiting the site of the Great Buddha. The 37 foot bronze figure was cast in 1292! Two hundred years before Columbus made his trip, it's hard to imagine. It used to be enclosed in a wooden temple until a tsunami washed the temple away leaving the exposed Buddha ever since.

Here we are with the others; our sensei is in the front left. It was a day of rain and snow, yet there were some plum trees in bloom.
We also visited the Engaku-ji , the largest of the Zen Buddhist temples; Tokei-ji temple, known as a safe place where women in abusive relationships can seek refuge.
All of these were built in this one city between 1250 and 1292.


At the Tsuru-ga-oka- Hachiman-gu shrine, we got to see a Shinto wedding procession. The musicians are in the background. The bride is wearing a traditional dress. Beside her is the groom and behind her is her father.

The wedding party and guests are seated inside with the priest ( man in white) saying prayers over the gift offerings of food and drink.

After being outside in the cold and wet for hours, we were ready for some warmth. This is Martin's dish called okamei soba. In with the soba noodles were pieces of compressed fish, egg cake , and mushrooms.
It was a good day with new friends and many cultural experiences and exposures.

1 comment:

My Cottage Charm said...

I have enjoyed looking at all your pictures of the places you have visited..........what an exciting adventure! I received my post card a couple of days ago, Japan looks like a lovely place. Thanks for including your blogspot on the card, I am enjoying browsing over what you have been doing. I have a blogspot of my own......it's a decorating one, please feel free to "visit" me anytime. My address is http://mycottagecharm.blogspot.com
I feel it an honor and a priviledge to get to keep in touch with you, you were a very important part of my life........ my goodness, you taught me how to read! lol
Love ya much
Missy Sams-Thorn