Saturday, February 20, 2010

Yesterday we went back to the Kamakura area to visit Enoshima Island. The rail line that went to the island is celebrating its 100th anniversary of operation this year. It travels very slowly as it winds through the village towns between the houses that were built right next to the tracks. It was a fun ride; we sat right behind the train engineer and could see where we were going.

The island is located in the Sagami Bay area. Caves have been formed by the erosion from the waves hitting up against the rocks. We were exploring one of the caves and we came to an opening to the Pacific Ocean. Martin is behind me and snapped this shot.



At the top of the island there is the Ryuren no kane (the bell of Dragon's Love). Couples come here to ring the bell and pray for their eternal love.

They place a padlock on the mesh fence in front of the bell and together they lock it. This is to symbolize their love for each other; their love is "locked".


It was a such a nice day to be outside! Thursday we woke up to a couple of inches of snow; and today, two days later, we were able to walk on the beach in 55 degree weather.

1 comment:

My Cottage Charm said...

I really enjoy looking at all the sights you photograph. :) I am pretty sure I will never make it to Japan, so seeing it all through your lense is a real treat. :) How much longer do you think you will be there?
I'm glad you stopped in to read my blog! I just started so I'm really just learning how it works, but so far I'm having a blast! :)
Have a great week.